The Reality





Things you can see in this picture...

  • Toys.  Everywhere.
  • My son playing with an empty cup and a toilet paper roll even though there are toys everywhere.
  • Food Network on TV.  Sometimes, this stays on all day.  Yesterday, the satellite shut itself off after six hours of inactivity.  
  • A cold cup of coffee.
  • Dirty diapers on the floor.
  • An empty dish of applesauce and yogurt - because I cannot seem to find the energy to make Joshua more delicious fruit purees.
  • Toys. Everywhere.
  • My son using a pacifier.  Yes - He is nine months old an still has one.  No - I have no idea when or how we will have him give them up.  No - I am not worried about it.
  • A vase of peonies that are clearly dead.  But I can't throw them out.  My Mom gave them to me last Sunday and they are beautiful and glamorous and remind me of our wedding day.
  • A stack of Andrew Wommack books and DVDs.  Some have been read/watched and some have not.  It is sort of like a literal to do list.
  • Toys. Everywhere.
  • Joshua isn't wearing socks and the ceiling fan is on.  I wonder how many more times I will have to defend myself on this issue.  When I put socks on him, he pulls them off.  Then, he tries to eat them and gags himself.  I pick chilly feet over choking child.  Sometimes, motherhood is about the lesser of two evils. 
  • Pillows blocking Joshua from the TV receiver where he reprograms things by pressing random buttons.  We need to get a gate. 

Things you cannot see in this picture...

  • More. Toys. Everywhere.
  • A dirty kitchen floor, kitchen sink full of dishes and a dishwasher that needs to be unloaded.
  • A garden full of weeds.
  • Flowers, shrubs and trees that need to be planted.
  • A car that needs to be washed.
  • An unfinished not-started hutch painting project.
  • An unfinished not-started bathroom art project.
  • My greasy hair.
  • The sweatpants I have worn for three days.
  • A stinky trash can.
  • A fridge full of leftover frozen pizza, glazed donuts and cookie dough.
  • The fact that I had to peel our son off the stairs twenty times in the 30 minutes it took me to write this post.
  • My dark eye circles.
  • My out of control eye brows because I had to cancel my waxing appointment yesterday due to a napping child.
  • Dusty furniture.  (Maybe you can see that from this picture...)
  • Those horrible pink rings you get in our toilets.
  • Those horrible pink rings you get around your shower drains.
  • Nearly dead plants on the front porch.
  • Dirty windows, dusty baseboards and dusty window blinds.  
  • A stack of unreconciled bank statements.
  • The fact that I am now harassing my husband about freshening up the mulch in our yard before we have 25 people here for a BBQ on Memorial Day.  Because apparently people will show up and immediately leave when they see bare dirt and landscape fabric in our flower beds.
  • Strawberries that need to be picked.
  • Strawberries that need to be cleaned and frozen.
  • Beds that need to be made.
  • A HUGE pile of laundry.
  • And now... a nine month old sitting in a dirty diaper and still playing with an empty cup and a toilet paper roll.  And his feet.



Just wanted to give you a little snap shot of my reality.  As a blogger, it is really easy to paint a picture of what we wish our lives always look like.  But, that is just not realistic.  


I am learning that even in the midst of some not so peaceful circumstances, I can be peaceful.


Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27


For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Romans 8:6


God never promised that our circumstances would be perfect but He did promise us that we would have peace.  Today, I would encourage you to acknowledge the peace that you have.  Stop giving life to the circumstances and give life to The Truth of His Word.  Because, dear friends, that is what produces real peace.  And that is what we need to be truly successful women.


Even though this entire list is my reality, the TRUTH is that I am more content than I have ever been.  God gives me the grace I need to truly love my life.  I am one blessed woman!

2 comments:

  1. What I like about blogging is that you can indeed give the image that you want, but somehow it is also true, because that who you want to be, who you are trying to become more and more. the whole "become who you are" thing..
    Your reality today is what you described on that picture, but it's also all the "unseen" on that picture: a little boy that is loved, a baby on the way, a wife that cares enough to take the time to write about her home life..
    "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting grouchily in the studio surrounded by half empty boxes of chaos, when I concluded and announced "I have to stop complaining about everything." yes there are giant piles of dirt in my lawn that prohibit me from planting grass and a garden. Yes I can't plant flowerbeda because the siding and guttering isn't done. Complaining was getting me nowhere. So I quite. Cold turkey. I feel much better now. When the garden is planted, it's planted until then I'll go do something else. Like finish unpacking my room...or play with the puppy :)

    ReplyDelete